The Mastermind Principle: There’s a lot to be gained when people come together. With focus and leadership, the members are unstoppable.
Dov Gordon, a guy with plenty of mastermind experience spoke with On Track Tips and shared his list of 9 Mastermind Tips You Need to Know.
What is a mastermind group?
What’s the difference between joining a mastermind group and simply networking with others via social media? Dov says the best mastermind groups offer structure – clear goals and responsibilities – and THAT makes all the difference.
One caution, though: If you are seeking accountability, you may not be ready for a mastermind. Serious groups generally don’t focus on hand-holding, rather they exist to foster growth.
Should you join someone else’s mastermind or start your own?
The steps to getting involved with a mastermind are:
- Think: what do you hope to gain from participation in a mastermind gathering?
- Search for currently active groups that have the same desires and give them a try.
- If you can’t find an appropriate group, start one.
9 pertinent points about starting a mastermind
- Be clear about the objective: WHY are you starting this group? Is it accountability, networking, education?
- Know who to invite: Each member must be open to the idea of sharing and helping.
- Know what to control and what not to control: Definitely control membership, who joins, and who stays. Don’t try to control deals between members; don’t insert yourself there.
- Know how to lead group conversations.
- Always be moving up. Always grow.
- Understand that you may have to let someone go. Member management is crucial.
- Apply the 80/20 rule: Give more than you get. Allow others to give in their own way.
- Remember, mastermind groups are a long-term strategy, not a quick fix.
- Don’t focus only on business, but also on caring for one another personally.
Are mastermind groups worth the trouble?
“I can’t imagine where I would be without my group,” says Dov. “It means everything to me.”The Mastermind Principle: There’s a lot to be gained when people come together. With focus and leadership, the members are unstoppable.Click To Tweet